Educational Support » Counseling » Work Permits

Work Permits

How Do I Get a Work Permit During the School Year?

A work permit is a legal document required by the State of California that allows a person less than 18 years of age to hold a job. You may get a work permit from the Garden Grove High School Guidance Office. 


There are four steps in obtaining a work permit:


  • Ask for a work permit application in the Guidance Office during the school year, or go to Work Permit Application (PDF) and download the application.
  • Fill out the personal information at the top of the application, have one parent sign the middle portion of the application and have the employer fill out the information required and sign the bottom section of the application
  • Return the completed work permit application to the Garden Grove High School Guidance Office in person where the work permit will be processed and the actual work permit issued. 




BETWEEN 7:30AM - 4:00PM:




If you have any questions, please contact the

Guidance Office at (714) 663-6175



  • Bring the completed work permit back to your employer.


AT WHAT AGE CAN I GET A WORK PERMIT? Minors ages 12 through 17 are required to get work permits before starting a job. A minor under the age of 12 cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry. There are a few exceptions to these rules. No work permit is required for the following jobs: (1) certain agricultural industry jobs, (2) odd jobs in private homes such as gardening and babysitting, (3) newspaper delivery jobs, and (4) self-employment.  


DOES A WORK PERMIT REQUIRE SCHOOL ATTENDANCE? Minors under 18 years old must attend school to get a work permit. If a student graduates from high school before age 18, he or she no longer needs a work permit. If a student passes the high school proficiency exam or the G.E.D. before 18 years old, he or she no longer needs a work permit. Minors under 18 years of age who have dropped out of school must be enrolled in continuation or adult school classes for at least four hours per week before getting a work permit. Emancipated minors must attend school in order to get a work permit. They are still required to get a work permit before being employed but may obtain the work permit without parent consent and signature.  


CAN A WORK PERMIT BE TAKEN AWAY? Yes, the work permit can be cancelled and taken away at any time by a high school administrator. In addition, a work permit can be cancelled at a parent’s request with good reason. Good reasons for canceling a work permit include: job does not fit legal requirements, hours scheduled create a truancy or absentee problem for the students, or job is causing student to fail classes at school.  


WHEN DOES A WORK PERMIT EXPIRE? A minor must obtain a work permit for each job. A work permit is no longer valid (or expires) when a minor quits or leaves a job. A new work permit application must be filled out for each new job. In addition, all work permits in the state of California expire five days after the opening of school in the fall. This is to insure that all minors report to school in the fall before continuing to work after summer vacation. Therefore, if a minor obtained a job and work permit in June and still had that same job in September, the work permit would expire. The minor would have to obtain a new work permit for the new school year even though it was for the same continuing job.  


WHAT IS THE GPA REQUIREMENT? Overall, a 2.0 GPA is required to have a permit issued during the school year, for summertime employment, the GPA requirement is not enforced, but it will be come the fall… so keep your grades up!